Monday, April 30, 2007

soil conditions or opportunity?...

In beginning my garden this year, we had much prep work to do... this house when we bought it last year had a yard full of weeds. I kid you not, up to my thigh. Bindweed, Morning Glory, and Dandylions, to name only a few. On a .41 acre lot... that's indeed a lot of weeds.

Anyway, after all the yard work last year, planting trees, shrubs, installing the new sprinkler system, and no lawn, the warming temps of spring have brought to life the weeds that have long been dead and burried. The seeds left over from last year are finding their way out of hiding and emerging into bloom... EVERYWHERE.

I assumed our soil was quite awful, as the previous owners of this house had done nothing to maintain it's health... I mean, nothing pretty was alive, just weeds, and weeds don't need a thing to grow as it seems.

It has me reflecting on where the weed seeds are planted in the soil of my own heart or life, that only take a moment or two of sunlight or a drop or two of rain (aka: opportunity) to sprout? Some brief seedlings I suspect stay hidden until the opportunity are: doubts in God, doubts in myself and God's unique purposes in me, bitterness towards others/unforgiveness, complacency... etc. etc. etc. How often do we know the seed is there? I'd imagine that it's not until we see it emerge and sprout that we will acknowledge it's existance. Afterall, out of sight is so easily translated into out of mind. haha.

The soil is fertile enough for weeds to grow... only thing needed are favorable conditions and opportunity, right?

Thankfully for the weeds in my yard I'm armed with a spray that promises to kill all the way to the roots.

Time for some inner reflection of where I am harboring seeds within the soil of my heart... or worse where the seeds have sprouted and sent roots down to the abyss for longevity.

++God... search me again and again and know my ways, watch the soil of my heart for where you and I can tend it together and maintain it's health. Plant crops and crops within me of your very love and mercy so that I may grow the fruit of the Spirit. Search my heart, show me, grow me, and lead me in Your ways, Your truth, and in Your love. Thank you Father... in Jesus' name... amen.++

No comments: